SLIDER

Mr. C

Monday, November 15, 2010

I have spent the morning thinking of my most favorite teacher ever, Mr. Currie!  I had found out that he had passed away this morning.  Selfishly, I am sad that he is gone, but I know he is with the Lord in a better place, probably playing the piano and is no longer suffering.  He was and is one of the most influential people in my life.  He is truly going to be missed.  I'll never forget when he pulled me out of class in 3rd grade just to tell me he wanted me to be in band and when he bought me a brand new case for my clarinet after mine had fallen apart.  He always went out of his way to make me feel special and for that I am so thankful.

It was the words of wisdom that he shared with his students, in addition to being a great music teacher and musician, that set him apart from the rest.  Through his influence and teaching, I was able to earn music scholarships to pay for the two years I was in college.  Mr. Currie retired after my senior year in 1998.  I am so thankful to have had him as a band teacher all seven years that I was in band.

In school, I was not an athlete or the best student academically, but music was the one subject where I excelled.  I credit all of my knowledge and love for music and the clarinet to him.

When I had been out of high school for a year, I went to work for the local newspaper and Mr. Currie was elected as Childress County Judge.  I had the privilege of covering the Commissioners' Court meetings where I was able to work with Mr. Currie on an almost daily basis.  He continued to be a big influence on my life even after we were both done with school.

I am not sure that any other person has influenced me or encouraged me as much as Mr. Currie.  I LOVED being a part of his Big Blue Band and am proud to have been a part of his legacy.  RIP, Mr. C.  I'll be looking forward to the day I see him in heaven.  Maybe we will play the clarinet together again.

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...